Sunday 27 October 2013

Multi-coloured (Bedroom Furniture) Swap Shop

So, here I am showing my age with the Saturday morning children's TV reference. And just to save you time Googling it; Swap Shop, as it was more commonly known, ran on BBC1 (when there were only three TV channels in existence in the UK; those were the days...) between 1976 and 1982.

When I had the vacuum cleaner out the other day, I came over all productive and decided it was time dear old DC got a bit of a bedside furniture upgrade. This has been on my mind for a while, and I've been on the look-out for a suitable piece to pop in this space between the chest of drawers and his bed, currently home to the one-becomes-two table (which featured in this blog post from way back in November 2011) and a wicker chair which was mine when I was young (sometime prior to the golden years of Swap Shop, methinks.)

This close-up shows that the piles of books really aren't looking their best, to put it politely, nor are they very practical being so precariously balanced.
So, I whipped table and chair out, had a bit of a vacuum round and went on the hunt for what I thought could be the perfect solution
right next door in the guest room
When I first popped it down in DC's room I thought it looked a wee bit small and out of place.
But then I added the piles of books, plus the globe-cum-lamp.
And a couple of toys.
And I decided that it all looked rather spiffing.

And best of all was DC's reaction when he came home from school. 
His first words: 'Oh Mummy, it's so tidy.' 
A child after my own OCD heart.
And, fear not (because I'm sure you were worrying, weren't you?), the guest room was not left untended. 
I moved this little table in from the spare room.
(Excuse the rug, it's the one that came out of DC's room when he got his new one; it doesn't really 'go' in here, but I'm still undecided what to do with it.)
Then added a mirror from the other side of the room.
So that it can be used as both a bedside table and dressing table, should the need arise.
Oh, and I did finish the vacuuming.

7 comments:

  1. I like that little quirky bit of furniture, glad DC approved too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure it's meant to be a wall unit, or perhaps it was the top part of something else, but it works just as well on the floor.

      Delete
  2. Both rooms look better now - and that globe lamp is fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it funny how a certain piece of furniture can look so different in another room/space?

      Delete
  3. They both look really fresh, spacious and happy now.
    LOVE the globe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The globe was a lucky auction find. I got it for about £10 in a box with some other junk.

      Delete
  4. So nice blog and post. Thanks for sharing.
    Landlord furniture

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)