Friday 5 August 2016

2016 Reading So Far

In 2015 I read 24 books, and being the competitive soul that I am, I'd like to beat that figure in 2016. So far things aren't going too badly; it's the start of August and I've just finished book no.19.

Here's a list of the books I've read so far this year:

Not the Killing Type - Lorna Barrett
See Delphi and Die - Lindsey Davis
Tulip Fever - Deborah Moggach
Buttons and Bones - Monica Ferris
The Case of the Murdered Muckracker - Carola Dunn
Thread Reckoning - Amanda Lee
V is for Vengeance - Sue Grafton
Stitch Me Deadly - Amanda Lee
The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton
Dropped Dead Stitch - Maggie Sefton
By Hook or By Crook - Betty Hechtman
Death of a Cad -MC Beaton
Threadbare - Monica Ferris
The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
Last Days of the Bus Club - Chris Stewart
A Night on the Orient Express - Veronica Henry
And Then You Dye - Monica Ferris
The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection - Alexander McCall Smith
Dark Fire - CJ Sansom

No real surprise that lots of them are cozy crime books, all from series that I've read several of already. My favourite cozy series is still that by Monica Ferris, set in a needlework shop.
Non-cozy, but still crime/mystery and also a series, is Dark Fire by CJ Sansom (the second in the series), set during the reign of Henry VIII. I was introduced to the series by my book club and I really enjoyed the first book; this second one took me a while to read (it's over 500 pages), but I know I enjoyed it as I found myself looking forward to going up to bed each night so I could get a few pages read.
A couple of disappointing reads - The Minaturist and The Girl on the Train, both of which I'd heard really good things about but both of which I found rather lacking.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like the Girl on the Train at all! Can't quite figure out what others saw in in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)