Saturday 22 June 2013

Book Review No. 11


Ahh, Mma Ramotswe! Long time, no see. This isn't the latest book in the series (this is no. 11 of 13); I'm a little behind with my No.1 Ladies Detective Agency reading, but I always like to keep one or two in reserve in case I get the urge to drift away to Botswana and the company of Mma Ramotswe, Mr JLB Matekoni, Mma Makutsi, etc. This series is my fall back - if I'm ever disillusioned with reading or I just haven't read a good book in a while, I know I can pick up one of these and all will be good again. I've read some reviews of the series where readers have said they are getting bored but I find that if you leave enough time between each book (unless you are really, really loving them and just can't get enough) then there is something comforting about being back amongst the same characters who (sad to say?) feel like old friends.

As with all of the other No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books, there are several threads to the story with Mma Ramotswe and her assistant Mma Makutsi dealing with an errant (or not) husband, a bequest from a wealthy American, a scam artist, and a particularly unfriendly female relative. But, when all is said and done, it's not the content of the stories that are important in this series, but more the way in which the stories are told. If you've never read a book from this series, I really would encourage you to do so - settle into your comfiest chair, with a mug or glass of your favourite drink (Mma Ramotswe would recommend red bush tea) and a slice of cake (Mma Ramotswe would approve) and lose yourself in Botswana.

2 comments:

  1. I read the 1st one in the series a long time ago & I do have the second on the bookshelf, unread. I did enjoy the one I read so maybe now's the time to unearth the other one! Not sure I'd make it to number 11 though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, might be worth giving the second one a try if you're after a gentle, easy read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)