Thursday 3 July 2014

LASEK Laser Eye Surgery in Detail: Part Two

When last we left off, I was about to go under the knife or, rather, the laser. I forgot to mention though that prior to the final tests before going down to the theatre, one of the ladies at the clinic talked me through my medication and the schedule for taking the various tablets and drops. I only wish I'd remembered to take a photo of the enormous bag full of bottles, boxes, tubes, etc. I have, however, taken a photo of the schedule which might give you some idea of just how many drugs, lotions and potions I had to take and how often they had to be administered.
Across the top are the columns for the different drugs (seven of them), and down the side are the times/days on which they were to be administered (from day of surgery up to 21 days after the op.) Suffice to say I was a little overwhelmed when I first saw this sheet, but I soon got into the swing of things. There were even a couple of sleeping tablets for the first nights after surgery.

Anyway, back to the theatre. So, I got myself comfy on the operating table and Mr Jaycock started with my right eye while my left eye was taped shut. He popped a speculum into my eye to keep it open for the duration of the surgery, so no need to worry about blinking and getting your eyelid lasered by accident. Then he taped my eyelashes out of the way. After that, various liquid solutions were washed across my eye while Mr Jaycock used an instrument that looked like a hockey stick (only smaller, much, much smaller) to scrape away the surface layer of the cornea (epithelium). This was the really weird part of the whole shebang because, obviously, I had no choice but to watch exactly what was going on in absolute close up! But because of the anaesthetic drops, thankfully, there was no feeling whatsoever, so it was a bit like watching through a window. It's hard to explain just how odd it was though. Then it was time for the laser to do its trick; there's no need to worry about your eye moving and the wrong part getting zapped as the machine tracks your eyeball precisely. Plus you do your most to keep looking at the light anyway. The light pulses and does its trick very quickly but there is a slightly odd smell and, I'm sorry if this is TMI, but it is a bit like burning meat. When I mentioned this afterwards the nurse said it was to do with the gases that the machine emits, but I'm not sure if she was just saying that because I have to admit I assumed it was my eyeball frying under the bazillion watt laser. Didn't bother me, either way. Once the laser part was over, Mr Jaycock did some more washing of the eyeball and then popped in a protective contact lens. The speculum was removed and that eye was taped shut. Then it was time to do it all over again on the left eye. All in all I think the entire procedure took about 30 minutes. And there was no pain or discomfort at all (actually, the most uncomfortable bit was having the eye drops put in prior to going into theatre.) Once it was done, I was taken to the recovery room (in a wheelchair, which made me feel like a bit of a fraud) and given a drink. Then my eyes were examined through one of the many machines that opticians love to use and I was given the all clear. Already, although things were blurry, I could notice a difference.

We went back to the reception of the laser clinic and I was advised to put my sunglasses on while I waited for hubby to come and collect me. When we went outside the light did feel very bright so I kept my sunglasses on and my eyes shut for as much of the journey home as possible. And there began my road to recovery and glasses-free living! Tune back soon for the next thrilling instalment...

5 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to find out exactly what happens. It's something I've always wondered about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound weird, you were very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting, and very different from my experience of laser eye surgery. Although I may have had the other kind I'm not sure, it was 10 years ago. I had no medication at all to bring home only some drops and an eye mask to wear at night! I hope the end result was a success, I'm amazed at how good it is to see clearly after years of wearing specs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're braver than me! Very interesting to read about your experience though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish they had laser surgery for far-sighted people, but alas they don't, so it's contacts and reading specs for me.
    Hope you get perfect vision!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)