Wednesday 9 January 2013

Resolute Failure

A big shout out to me for failing; less than 24 hours after announcing to the world that my one and only New Year's Resolution was to banish tardiness from my life I got to Book Club this afternoon four minutes late. Womp womp waaaah.

In my defence, I would like to point out that it wasn't really my fault (although only giving myself 10 minutes to walk from home to the Post Office and then round to the house where Book Club was being held was cutting it a bit fine [but the village where we live is tiny - population 404.]) I got to the Post Office in plenty of time; in fact a lady who also attends Book Club said she drove past me and was going offer me a lift but I looked like a "woman on a mission", so clearly I was marching along. Unfortunately, when I got to the village shop-cum-post-office the lady who serves in the Post Office was nowhere to be seen; in fact, she was 'out the back' having a chinwag with the manageress and it took a few minutes for them to realise I was (somewhat impatiently, in the style of someone whose NYRes. was about to be broken) waiting. So, I blame the lady at the PO for holding me up and forcing me to fail, just 9 days in.

What is the etiquette now for the NYRes.? Is it
1) admit I'm a failure and continue the rest of 2013 being late
or
2) dust myself off, put it down to experience and vow to show the NYRes. who's boss?

And, in case you're interested, this month's Book Club book was The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato. On a positive note, we (10 of us) mostly agreed it would make a great holiday read; it had some interesting information about the history of glassblowing and the story wasn't too bad (in parts). On the less positive side, it was described as "a bit Mills and Boon-y"; "contrived"; "affected"; "badly written" and "obvious". Personally, I didn't really enjoy it, but it was a quick read so I'd probably give it 4/10.

1 comment:

  1. I think 4 minutes shouldn't really count as late, so in my book you were on time! Sounds like The Glassblower isn't one to rush out & buy for my book group then - we're reading a Jodi Picoult this month.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)