Tuesday 25 November 2008

The Scarf is Finished, Sort Of, Kind Of...

Hubby and I put on our 'hostess with the mostest' hats this weekend and entertained two friends from oop north. Mark is one of hubby's footy friends, as is Fiona in a sort of way. Hubby & Mark spent Saturday afternoon in the pub planning Mark's stag night for next March, while Fiona & I spent time in a coffee shop investigating the cakes and talking baby stuff, as Fiona is due to have her little one in just seven weeks - eeeeek! This means the next time we see them, they will be three.

Saturday night we went to the Cherry Tree for dinner, a local gastro pub owned by Carol Decker of T'Pau fame - got to love that 80s music. Dear Mark is so young (being a mere whippernsapper at 27) that he didn't even know who Carol Decker was - shame on him! No appearance from Carol herself, perhaps she was slaving away in the kitchen churning out the steak and chips.

Sunday afternoon, after we said a fond farewell to our guests, I finished the scarf. I was rather proud of myself, since it had only taken me a week. Except that I have now decided that it is too short, so I need to go to town and buy another skein of expensive 'middle class wool' as Penny (aka the Knitting Doctor) likes to call it, and thus make the scarf twice as long as it is at the moment.

Monday afternoon my parents came to stay so they can look after me and protect me from the nasty creatures that live in the woods while International Businessman is gallavanting off to Krakow. Monday evening mother helped me start following the first ever knitting pattern I have attempted and I am now in the process of knitting a teddy bear for Delightful Child. I now know how to cast on, increase, decrease and 'slip one, knit one, pass one over'. Am on the way to being a fully-fledged knitter.

This is what the teddy is supposed to look like but, having knitted one side of the body, I'm a bit concerned. With the piece I have made, the body looks much smaller than the one here. In fact, the bit I've made looks pretty much the same size as the head...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)