Saturday 1 November 2008

It's Starting To Feel a Lot Like Christmas...

I had a very Christmas-y day today. I looooooove Christmas, as does hubby. But, whilst hubby went off on a non-Christmas-y expedition to Portsmouth to watch Wigan playing footy, I went to the Christmas Gift Fair at Waddesdon Manor to help my friend Liz run her stall.



Liz makes lovely glass plates, platters, bowls, window hangings, coasters, Christmas decorations, and more! She takes her life in her hands during the winter months, spending hours in her freezing cold garage designing and making these lovely things.


I'm not sure I was much help in manning the stall; in fact, I think I was more of a jinx as there wasn't much buying going on from the crowd. Luckily, Liz has three more days there without me, so hopefully people will be more keen to part with their cash.

Still, it was a nice day out and there were lots of other lovely stalls to preuse, including the stall right next to Liz's which was manned by our friend Tara, who made my wedding tiara - it's so handy to know all these 'crafty' people when you want something individual and handmade.



I managed not to spend too much money - just a few pounds here and there on a couple of things that I can't mention as they are destined to be Xmas gifts for hubby, plus a 'Christmas' sign and a lovely beaded metal star for the door of the nursery, handmade by Tara. Unfortunately though, this frugality came to an abrupt halt on the way home as I managed to persuade myself that it would be nice to have a little look in the John Lewis 'home' store in High Wycombe. Ooopsy, what a mistake that was when I came out about an hour later clutching to my bosom a bag containing nearly £50 of Christmas decorations - OMG, how did that happen??!! This is the problem with sending me out to work - when I earn money, I just have to spend it. It is, for sure, a very dangerous stagte of affairs, although in some way I could think that I am just doing my little bit to help spend the UK out of recession. Yes, let's just imagine that that is what I'm doing when I come home with, amongst other 'must have' items, this little chap
and one of these (although this is actually going back to the shop to be exchanged for the white version, since it didn't look quite so good once I got it home- isn't that always the way?)

VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE
While it acceptable, in fact it is actively encouraged, to peruse and purchase Christmas gifts, decorations, food, etc, etc during November (or even earlier) it is absolutely, totally, strictly and utterly FORBIDDEN for any Christmas decorations to be hung or celebrations to be celebrated until after my birthday (29th November). I also get very upset if any Christmas cards are received prior to my birthday as any card-shaped item plopping onto the doormat is assumed by me to be a birthday card; hence, I am extremely upset and disappointed when, having saved all of these cards until the morning of my birthday, I come face to face with Santa or his elves, or a sprig of holly where there should be a picture of a birthday present, cake, etc. This happened last year when some well-meaning soul from the other side of the world, decided to send out their cards super early lest they not manage to make it all the way to the UK within the six-week window they had allowed. Humphhhh. However, all of this pales in to insignficance in the face of the most distressing 'Christmas before birthday' event which occurred last year when my parents PUT UP THEIR CHRISTMAS TREE prior to the 29th. Words were had and, needless to say, it won't be happening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)