Sunday 3 January 2010

Felicitations!


Continuing the theme of being a bad blogger, I managed to miss out on posting both a Christmas and New Year greeting. So, 'Felicitations' to you all! I hope you all had a lovely festive season and here's wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

Christmas seems to have rushed past in a blur of visitors and visiting; I can't believe it's nearly time to take the decorations down, even though they've been up for a month (hubby and I like to get the house decorated as early as is seasonally acceptable, ie 1 December.) So, that'll be the end of coffee out of the Starbucks Christmas mugs, mulled wine from the special Christmas tree glasses, Quality Street on the reindeer plate, not to mention the tree, the paper chains, the cards, etc, etc. Still, at least the living room will feel spacious (for a moment or two) as we get used to not having a tree in the corner.

DC seemed pretty much oblivious to all the fuss going on around him. We had considered getting a very small Christmas tree this year and putting it on top of the linen press in order to keep it away from his little paws, but in the end decided to take a chance and go for the floor-standing option. That worked out fine as DC showed no interest in the sparkly lights and glittery decorations and is still showing little inclination to crawl (which is fine by me as it means I get to spend longer in the comfort of my armchair rather than leaping about every few seconds to rescue DC from awkward situations.)



Despite his lack of Christmas awareness, DC was nonethless showered with gifts and utterly spoilt, even though I had said we shouldn't really buy him much. Clearly, I failed to listen to my own advice and went out and bought cuddly toys, clothes and other bits and bobs as I couldn't let his first Christmas go by without the excuse to spend money. Granny, Grandma & Grandad, aunties, uncles, cousins and friends were all on board with the 'Let's spoil DC for his first Christmas' roadshow and bought him three bath toys, clothes, books, cuddly toys, a snow globe, a Wigan Athletic Christmas stocking, a shape sorter, and umpteen other lovely things. Luckily, hubby listened to me (for a change?) and spent no more than the £10 limit I had suggested; this involved buying DC an iconic "I 'heart' NY" vest and then making a noisey tube out of an old breadstick container filled with seeds. Guess which pressie DC liked best out of all those we bought him? Yep, hubby's homemade contraption. Which just goes to show that Kirstie was right about homemade Christmas presents being the best...


I was right there alongside DC with being thoroughly spoilt this Christmas:


My Mum bought me (amongst many other things) this fabulous footstool from John Lewis, which was a total and utter surpise.I remember pointing it out to Mum when we were in the shop looking at dining room furniture for her, but I had no idea that she had logged the info in such a way! I've only put my feet up on it a couple of times - it's way too lovely to use, it's only for gazing at for the time being. My mother-in-law came up trumps with a sewing machine; I've never had my own, and I keep looking at the all of the wonderful things crafty people with crafty blogs seem to be able to make, and I feel it's time I had a go. Watch this space. Arthur bought me a doughnut baking set (he's too young to know about Mummys and Diets). Dear hubby bought me a lovely Cath Kidston sewing basket, tape measure and pin cushion, as well as a wonderful wooden box spotted at an antique shop in Chipping Norton, a Union Jack cushion to match my footstool (also too nice to use, hence still being in its packaging. Can you see a patriotic theme developing round these parts?), and various other bits and bobs.


New Year was spent oop north with hubby's family, for a very relaxing few days where we were pampered and looked after. We stayed in on NYEve (except for a trip to the cinema to see Sherlock Holmes - thoroughly recommended); although my attempt to be in bed, asleep for the third year running when Big Ben struck midnight was foiled; but I was in bed by about 12.10am. What's the New Year equivalent of Scrooge or the Grinch? Cos that's what I am. Just can't get excited about it; would rather be in bed asleep or perhaps reading, although sound asleep is preferable so as not to be disturbed by all those pesky fireworks going off. Bah humbug!

But despite my Grinch-i-ness, I hope you all had a good New Year and that 2010 (two thousand and ten, not twenty-ten I think) brings all that you wish for, and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)