Friday 5 December 2008

Where to Start? Part IV: Monday

Yay! A day off work to relax and recuperate from the weekend or, alternatively, to go shopping and get all tired out again. Which do you think I did? That's right, because I inherited the 'can't sit still for 5 minutes' gene from my father, I went shopping. Left the house at 9.30am and got home about 3pm. So much for a day spent with my feet up (to prevent the lovely 'I'm pregnant and I've got swollen ankles' look.) Still, what better way to celebrate the first day of VAT being reduced from 17.5% to 15% than to go out and shop?! Surely this was what the government hoped would happen when they decided to boost the economy in this strange way. So, I spent several hours in Boots and Sainsburys and came away almost £150 worse off, but with a mountain of food (well, I am eating for two these days), Xmas wrapping paper and some clothes for Delightful Child.

On the way home I had to go to the Post Office which is unfortunately situated near a Marks and Spencer's Food, so I ended up spending more money. However, there's also a charity shop next to M&S where I managed to pick up two pairs of knitting needles for the grand total of £1, thus boosting my knitting aparatus and adding to my charity karma all at the same time.

And still the shopping wasn't over. I then went and bought a Christmas tree - all 7ft of it, since the house we are currently renting has a beamed, apex ceiling in the living room which can accommodate a much larger tree than we are usually able to buy. For the last four years hubby has had to saw the bottom off every Xmas tree we have taken home due to slight miscalculations in height. But not this year. No sireee Bob. This year we could have had a 10ft tree and it would have fitted, but that would have been greedy and goodness only knows how we would have got the stuffed reindeeer we use in place of a fairy on the top.

And then I called in at Starbucks to get a gingerbread latte and, lo!, they are now 5p cheaper due to the VAT cut. All is well in the world.

Here's hubby doing his best impersonation of a tree hugger. And, yes, he is wearing a fleece and gloves for 3 reasons. 1) he had just been outside to drag the tree in from the car; 2) gloves are very handy (pardon the pun) when handling spiky Xmas trees; and 3) our heating still wasn't working, a week after it had broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)