Friday 16 August 2013

Book Review No. 16: Gone Girl


I'll cut to the chase immediately - I LOVED this book. And doesn't that make a nice change? A positive book review from me.

 It's a story set in present-day USA of a husband and wife, beginning on the day of the wife's disappearance and presumed murder on the day of their fifth wedding anniversary. The husband is the main suspect. The chapters are written alternately by the husband and wife, with her chapters taking the form of a diary dating back to the day they first met whereas the husband's chapters are current.

 There are some fantastic plot twists and although it had crossed my mind what the main twist might be, it was just one of many ideas I had because it really wasn't possible to work out exactly what was going to happen next. It's the sort of twist that really does make you think 'OMG' (or words to that effect) and the alternating chapter style suddenly makes sense. The revelation of the main twist marks the end of the first part of the book; the second part is still gripping, although I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first part. The end almost lets the rest of the story down but still this book really is the cliched 'page turner' and if you are a fan of thrillers this should definitely be on your 'to read' list. Hubby read it straight after me and even though he enjoys darker thrillers than me (although, in all honestly, what isn't darker than a cosy?!), he thought this was a great book too.

As I read the book I thought it would make a great film, in fact I wondered if it had even been written with this in mind. Turns out I wasn't the only one and the film has already been cast; Ben Affleck and Rosamunde Pike will play the lead roles of Nick and Amy.

So, for a change, an absolute thumbs-up from me; a book I would thoroughly recommend.

4 comments:

  1. Putting that on my Amazon wish list straight away! I love to get books that come recommended!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope you like it! I'm feeling the pressure now!

      Delete
  2. I liked it, but I didn't love it. In the end I thought they deserved each other. What a marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They absolutely deserved each other. A narcissist plus a sociopath - what a combination!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)