Wednesday 14 August 2013

'Retirement' Bucket List

Yesterday evening I finished my job; I indexed my last ever article in The Times.
It was a Law Report; and here it is with my scribble, denoting it was done.
So, now I'm (unofficially) retired. Yes, that's right, I'm calling it 'retired' since it sounds much nicer than unemployed or redundant. It sounds as if I made the choice to be no longer working, rather than having it made for me. Alternatively, I can call myself a Stay At Home Mum (SAHM), but I'm not overly-fond of that expression, although I don't know why.

And now I'm wondering just how to fill the long, long days that stretch before me. Hence the Retirement Bucket List that I've started writing. It makes me feel like I have a purpose.

So far the list looks like this:
1) Make fudge
2) Put WD40 on squeaky door handles
3) Wallpaper hallway and bedroom
4) Paint snug
5) Tidy kitchen cupboards and drawers
6) Sort DC's toys, books and clothes

Can you see I'm aiming high here? I predict no. 2 will happen first as it seems like the one that requires least effort on my part. Although I will have to go into the black hole that is the garage and hunt down the WD40, so perhaps no. 1 will actually be the easiest.
I'll keep you updated on any additions or deletions.

5 comments:

  1. Before you know it, you'll wonder how you ever had time for work.
    Happy 'Retirement'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do No1 first and send some this way please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took early retirement and thought I'd miss working and perhaps I do substitute teaching, but as I eased into retirement I found loads of ways to fill my days and now I don't know how I ever found time to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I can afford to take retirement *quite* this early, although it is very tempting! I'm going to enjoy having a bit of time off before deciding what I should do next.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! I try to respond to your comments within this section, so please check back (if you feel like it!)